Monday, June 18, 2018

The Rocklad Report June 15, 2018

OFFICE OF THE CITY MANAGER
The format of the City Manager report is changing. The Manager’s Report will now be published on a monthly basis. The focus of the report will be accomplishments from the previous month and upcoming events/ activities in the month to come.
 City Hall grounds are getting a face lift. With all the work that the gardeners are doing at City Hall beautifying our look has stimulated the idea to clean up the grounds. The sign entering City Hall will be getting a fresh remake in the coming weeks. Shrubbery around the building has been trimmed and looking good, trees have been edged and bark mulched and drainage has been dressed up with fresh crushed stone. Plans for the future will be to build out the entrance roof line
and get rid of the wind walls that were built years ago and have surpassed their useful life.
 The Rockland Historical Society will be inducting five more individuals to the wall of fame in the lobby of City Hall. This presentation will take place on July 18 and all are welcome to attend. A twenty-minute video presentation of the inductees will kick the ceremony off on the 18th at 6:30pm. For more information please contact the Rockland Historical Society.
 The 2019 Fiscal Year Budget is scheduled for adoption on June 25 at 6pm in the city council chambers.
 The public restroom project on Samoset Road has been stalled. The City continues to work with the Residents of Jameson Point and the Samoset Resort to find a solution to public restroom issue. The stumbling block has become the location of the restroom facility which we hope to resolve soon.
 The North Atlantic Blues Festival is scheduled for July 14 – 15, here’s to another successful festival season.

OFFICE OF THE CHIEF OF POLICE

Administration –
 Over the last month attended Officer Griffith’s graduation from the Maine Criminal Justice Academy. We have attended two budget review city council meetings at city hall. Coordinated the enrollment of two officers into advanced training classes at the Maine Criminal Justice Academy. We met with representatives from the Maine Lobster Festival 5k and 10k road race to discuss this year’s event and to properly prepare for it. Met with administrative staff from the Mid-Coast School of Technology regarding security issues concerning the new building and suggest improvements. Attended a Rockland Police Department Scholarship Committee meeting to select this year’s awards recipients.
 Met with a representative from the Coast Guard Investigative Service to discuss ongoing coordination regarding investigations that involve both Rockland P.D. and C.G.I.S.
 Participated in a school safety panel / discussion at South School and attended a critical incident debriefing with RSU 13 administrative staff and local law enforcement agency representatives regarding the multi-school lockdown that occurred on 05/29/18.
 Facilitated the completion of monthly policy review for department members.

Criminal Investigation Division –
 Continued investigating open criminal investigations in Rockland. Assisted the Maine Drug Enforcement Agency with executing a search warrant. Worked with detectives from the Maine State Police Major Crimes Unit regarding an investigation. Attended a training class on credit card skimming. Worked with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms and with the Federal Bureau
of Investigations on administrative procedures for prohibiting firearms possession for individuals that meet federal guidelines. Investigated

OFFICE OF THE LIBRARY DIRECTOR
 With the exception of Memorial Day, and one other day, Jesse Ellis hosted Silent (Sign Language) Social Hour on Monday evenings. It’s a place for people to learn the basics of American Sign Language by doing, and grow by learning. It is a place for people to learn about Deaf Culture. This is a voice-off environment; finger spelling is taught and encouraged.
 Catinka Knoth’s Art classes for adults and children covered a variety of themes, including summer activities and seashore scenes, Father’s Day cards; hummingbirds & rhododendron, and cardinals and lilacs.
 We’ve been making some subtle and not-so-subtle changes in some furnishings and furniture arrangement, thanks to funds from a donor to the Friends, and to the PLEA. The current projects should be completed in July, when the last items are due in. Staffer Mary Jane Martin decorated a display cart for the Children’s Room—come take a look at the delightful result. Once again, huge thanks to Public Services’ staff, for putting things together, and moving furniture around. PS staff also put up new US and Maine State flags.
 The Rockland Historical Society’s new dehumidifier system was installed.
 Katie Drago held an Altered Books workshop, giving a second life to discarded books, and a special April Showers Bring May Flowers Storytime filled with garden stories and crafts! Katie’s Creative Art Crew made Fairy Houses in honor of International Fairy Day later this month, with Miss Katie
showing participants how to combine natural and used items to make your own fairy habitat.
 Jessie Blanchard and I continued to review and provide feedback for the Library portion of the City website; we now have a “go live’ date of June 21.
 We learned that Ed Coffin left his house and the contents to the Library, an incredibly generous and unexpected gift! Attorney Ed Collins met City Manager Luttrell, Councilor Ed Glaser, and me, and we were able to go through the house to see if there were items which might be housed here. We also received word that we were remembered in the will of Vera June Hill, who left a percentage of a portion of her estate to the Library, in memory of her brother. It is indeed an
honor for the Library to be the recipient of such gifts, and on behalf of the Library, I am extremely grateful.
 Katie and Jessie Blanchard hosted a STEM Workshop: Airplanes & Helicopters. Participants learned about aerodynamics and created different types of paper gliders and helicopters. They theorized and experimented to determine what improves the result.
 The Wednesday Walkers Club continued; Jessie Blanchard, Katie Drago, and Patty King alternate as walk leaders. Part of the Checkout Movement & Healthy Living @ the Library series, walkers of all ages and abilities are invited to meet at the Library every Wednesday morning to go on a 30 to 45 minute walk around town. The Checkout… series is funded by grants from the Maine Public
Library Fund and the Rose and Samuel Rudman Library Trust, Friends of Rockland Public Library, and the Library (City).
 Jean Young hosted a celebration of World Doll Day with a tea party in the Children’s Room. Participants were invited to bring their favorite doll or stuffed animal!
 Also from the Checkout Movement…, the Saturday Stretch series with Patti Luchetti concluded, and Easy Going Yoga with Antonia Small commenced. Based on the response, and the need to limit the number of participants due to space, we are considering adding an additional yoga series.
 Many thanks to Don Fowles, who once again generously donated his time to the Library, rescuing us on several occasions, and who is also working on upgrading some of our equipment and services.
 Wednesday Storytimes saw guest reader Judith Andersen charming her audiences; Jean Young followed these with a fun-filled craft each week.
 As a member of the City Budget Working Group, I attended the final Budget Workshop, where City Council finalized the preliminary adoption of the FY 19 Budget.
 Jessie Blanchard presented a workshop on two of the four new databases the Library offer—Legal Forms and Small Business Resource Center.
 Katie Drago hosted Baby Time on Thursday mornings. Always filled with songs and giggles, this program is one of the liveliest we offer.
 The Thursday evening Community Events and other Adult programming included an illustrated talk on the Rockland Sculpture Race, a documentary film screening: Planet Ocean, Dave Morrison & Maureen Egan presenting Responding to Adversity through Art, a Destination Wellness Talk: Find Balance
and Healing with Bowenwork, Eating Better on a Budget - Fruits & Veggies (co-sponsored with Knox County Community Health Coalition), and a local history talk: Railroad History from Boston to Rockland, co-sponsored by the Rockland Historical Society.
 The Friends Book, Plant, and Bake Sale was a thunderous success, with that amazing group raising more than $5,000 that day!
 I’ve also been working on end-of-year clean up and files, including the twice yearly office cleanse.
 Jessie and Katie represented the Library at the Summer Solstice Event, along with a great group of organizations serving and celebrating our youth—among them, The Landing Place, Rockland After School Alliance, Midcoast Music Academy, the Y, Trekkers, and Youthlinks, to name just a few.
 During May, the Library served 9,548 patrons and held 61 programs with a total attendance of 741.
 Upcoming events include the opening of Summer Reading Program--this years’ theme, nationally, is Libraries Rock!, so you’ll find lots of programming around both music and geology!, ukulele lessons for kids, a rockin’ special story-time with Miss Katie on Tuesdays, Storytime at the Rockland Farmers Market with staff and Friends/volunteers, and plenty of excellent programs and
events for older youth and adults. There may also be a new menagerie in the Children’s Room.
Get ready.

OFFICE OF THE HARBORMASTER
 Public landing has seen a variety of boats moor at the floats and on the moorings this spring.
 ACL cruise ships started a couple weeks ago with the Independence and the Constitution calling on Rockland throughout the summer.
 Submitted the final grant application to the EDA for rehabilitation of the fish pier.
 Installed two new floats at the fish pier, anyone interested in leasing dock space at the fish pier please contact the Harbormaster.
 We also have space available for lease at the middle pier.
 This month we will see the Lobster boat races followed by the Blues Festival, Friendship Sloop days, and the Seaweed Festival in July.

OFFICE OF THE PUBLIC SERVICES DIRECTOR
 The City wide Spring Leaf & Brush Pick-up was completed.
 The Transfer Station Upgrade Project Bid has been awarded to T. Buck Construction, Inc. of Turner, Maine. A pre-construction meeting will be held on June 21st.
 The Mandatory Pre-Bid Conference for the Limerock Street Rehabilitation Project was held on June 5th with seven potential bidders attending.
 The Bid Opening for the Limerock Street Project was then held on June 12th and there were four bids submitted.
 The Public Services Department will be installing the drainage for the Limerock Street Rehabilitation Project.
 The Park and Main Street Pedestrian Crosswalk improvements project is now complete and was inspected by MDOT on June 12th.
 Set up and take down of the voting booths for the June 12th Primary Election held at the Flanagan Community Center.
 Attended FEMA reimbursement meeting.
 Maine Healthy Beaches held a sample collection training workshop on May 29th and the weekly testing began on June 4th.
 The yearly Sand, Gravel & Loam Bid Opening was held June 14th with one bid submitted.
 A DEP inspection was conducted at the Solid Waste Facility on June 14th.
 Continued repairs and maintenance at the Library.
 Replacing and placing new signs throughout the City.
 Overnight crosswalk and stop bar painting is ongoing throughout the City.
 Ongoing cold patch being done City wide
 Ongoing City wide street sweeping
 Ongoing City wide trash removal
 Ongoing City wide basin cleaning
 Sewer report for the month of May was sent out.

OFFICE OF THE CODE ENFORCEMENT OFFICER
 John and Bill attended the annual membership MBOIA conference for two days.
 Bill attended a Comprehensive Planning Board meeting.
 John attended a Zoning Board of Appeals Meeting.
 John and the Fire Department performed a pre-conveyance inspection at 48 Talbot Ave and an 11 unit pre-conveyance inspection at 18 Lindsey St.
 We issued two Certificates of Occupancy at 166 Camden St and 122 First St.
 Bill performed four Operational Inspections at 1 Main St, 743 Main St, 273 Main St and 421 Main St.
 Bill did ten license inspections: 118 Main St, 419 Main St, 369 Main St, 49 Camden St, 81 Talbot, 75 Talbot, 4 Linden St, 449 Main St, 346 Main St and 75 maverick St.
 John and Bill met with contractors, property and business owners regarding various proposed projects throughout the city, some of these meetings were in conjunction with the Fire Department and included on-site inspections.
 We issued thirty four building permits. We issued permits for a new sheds on Rankin St, Chestnut St, Main St, Thomaston St, Bog Rd, and North Main St, demolition on Fourth St, Main St and Cedar St, renovations on Broadway, Main St, Crescent St, Park St and Ocean St, Fence permits on Rankin St, New County Rd and Grace St .
 We continue to be busy with various other permits, inspections, and assisting the public with questions. The following permits were issued by the Code Office:
 34 Building Permits
 14 Electrical Permits
 12 Plumbing Permits
 1 Sewer Repair
 2 Short term Rental(STR1)
 3 Sign Permits
 6 Excavation Permits
 2 Planning Board Applications
 9 Misc/Side Walk Tables/Display
 24 Inquiry/ Complaints
 We are projecting the coming month to be very busy with building permits, inquiry forms and inspections. We also have a Planning Board application for a solar farm. The High School renovation should start now that school is out. The new school for Mid Coast School of Technology is progressing
along with weekly inspections by John and Bill.

OFFICE OF THE FIRE/EMS CHIEF
Over this preceding week, in addition to the response to 167 Fire and EMS calls, conducting apparatus checks, daily cleaning, routine repairs and maintenance to the fleet and of the quarters, the following occurred:
 Training provided over the last month:
 Forcible Entry- Our ability to gain entry into a structure or other habitable spaces to minimize further damage and gain access to patients.
 A few members started and completed their Certified Fire Inspector Course through the Fire Marshal’s Office and NFPA. Tests were taken and the results are pending.
 Lt. Cole and A/C Mazzeo attended a week of Arson Investigation at Westbrook Fire.
 Firefighter CPR was instructed by FF Pendleton. There have been many suggested improvements of how to get a firefighter out of their bulky turn out gear and accessible for CPR procedures.
 Chief Miceli attended a workshop on fire stopping within residential and commercial buildings.
 Meetings attended by Management staff:
 Chief Whytock, along with Public Services, attended 2 meetings with FEMA in regards to the fall wind storm and damages. We are working to recoup 75% of our operational costs related to the storm. I am sure there will be much more to come with this venture.
 Numerous labor negotiations between the city and the firefighter’s union.
 Staff attended 2 meetings with Maine Health in reference to transfer of care for EMS patients coming from a nursing facility.
 Chief Whytock attended numerous budget committee meetings and a budget review meeting with council. This year’s budget is up slightly due to minimal operation costs and insurance increases.
 Safety meetings were held at City Hall.
 Special Events Attended:
 Touch a Truck for the March of Dimes
 Flag Day celebration at the Elks Lodge on Rankin Street
 Memorial Day Parade in downtown Rockland
 Numerous tours given of the fire station and our equipment
 Notable Calls Responded To: (Although our job affords us the opportunity to do amazing things (most of which we can’t talk about), these calls have made headlines.
 Overturned boat in Rockland Harbor with access to the patients in Owls Head.
 Overturned boat in Lake Chickawaukie with two people and a dog being rescued
 EMS patient removal off the roof of 12 Water Street with Tower 3.
 Looking Ahead:
 We have a few things to prepare for as we come into summer. The festival season brings many meetings and preparations for safety and security of our citizens and festival goers.
 Numerous staff members are preparing for a promotional process for the position of Lieutenant. Tests and interviews will be happening soon.
 We should hear on a hopeful acceptance from FEMA on a large grant to replace our aging Self Contained Breathing Apparatus. (SCBA)
 Still working on the volunteer portion of our emergency sheltering and will hopefully have a date for a training.
 Good weather and lots of summer fun!!!
Rockland Fire & EMS wishes to congratulate the Class of 2018 and wish them all the best that life has to offer. Stay safe out there!

OFFICE OF THE FINANCE DIRECTOR
 May consisted mainly of reviewing the City’s Manager’s recommended budget with the City Council. The following is a recap of those meetings:
o The budget committee has had 4 meetings this month reviewing the City Manager’s recommended budget. The first meeting reviewed budgets for the Legislative, Library, Harbor & Fish Pier and Executive Departments. The review included an overview of the Manager’s budget. This budget scenario represented a 3% increase over the fiscal year 2017’s budget. The Manager’s budget translated into a Municipal mil rate of 9.9151. The only change the City Council made was to increase donations to the Rockland District Nurses Association from $20,000 to $30,000. This increased the Municipal mil rate 0.0129 and would theoretically raise taxes $2.38 on a home valued at $185,000.
o The second meeting reviewed budgets of Police, Fire/EMS, Public Services, Code, Contributions and Legal Departments. After a very thorough discussion, the only change made was an increase to the Public Services overtime budget in the amount of $3,500. Although contributions were on the agenda, these were tabled until the next meeting in order to give Councilors time to review the package of contributions submitted to the City.
o The third meeting covered contributions, the Recreation, Waste Water Treatment Facility, Community Development, Assessing, Clerk, City Hall and Finance department budgets. The contribution budget was increased by $23,000. This brought the contribution budget on par with last year’s budget. Waste Water Treatment’s budget was discussed. Budget increases were made to the public restrooms cleaning line ($10,000 to a total of $20,000), and a $30,000
increase was made to the Maintenance Departments professional services line. The Council also approved a 3% rate increase. The Recreation budget was reviewed. This was led-off by a presentation by the YMCA Management. We are in the last year of a multi-year contract that has renewal options. No changes were made to their or any of the other budgets reported that evening. Last year’s Municipal mil rate was 9.6298 currently sits at 9.962.
o The last meeting covered the CIP (Capital Improvement Projects) budget, General Fund Tax & TIF’s, Debt Service, Technology and the General Assistance budget. Preliminary budget adoption was scheduled, but was moved to the following week.
o As of the end of May, the proposed Municipal budget was $7,742,206 translating into an approximate mil rate of 9.9151. The proposed total budget won’t be finalized until the RSU#13 budget is approved by voters in June as this is a significant portion of the local tax rate.
 Also in May, we out to bid on our ambulance billing services. This will be awarded in June to a successful bidder.
 Coming up in June is the final adoption of the fiscal year 2018-2019 municipal budget by City Council as well as the June elections which will include a vote on the RSU#13 school budget. The Finance Department will be preparing to close the fiscal year.
 New year Finance Department planning includes:
o Upgrading Munis (our primary financial software system) to a more current version that is planned to serve us for the next 3 to 5 years when we will (most likely) upgrade again.
o Utilize more of our Munis system in order to produce quicker more accurate results in providing financial projections.
o Explore additional resources that would improve overall operations.
 As of today, the General Fund Account cash balance per the bank: $6.0MM.

OFFICE OF THE WASTEWATER TREATMENT FACILITY DIRECTOR
May 21 – June 15 Happenings
 Updated the Wet Weather Management Plan – submitted letter to DEP
 Attended City Safety meeting with May’s lead operator
 Provided support to contractor’s inquiries
 Submitted answers to DEP inquiries
 Started the process to renew the vacuum truck non-hazardous waste transporter license application
 Participated in meetings to discuss DuPont’s permit appeal points
 Working on determining if current Significant Industrial User can be taken out of the Industrial Pretreatment program
 Started generating a commercial wastewater discharge permit to cover low-flow or no-flow commercial users
 Submitted a response Letter of Warning to a significant industrial user
 Submitted Letter of Agreement to SIU
 Working on updates to current significant industrial user discharge permit
 Requested quote for coating project
 Participated in 2018 Second Quarter’s Pretreatment Meeting
 Visited site for drain inspection
 Currently collaborating with DEP office on investigation of complaint directed to a local business
 Secondary Clarifier offline
o Working on determining the kind of environmental compliance repercussions this situation could cause
o Working with engineering firm and plant crew to decide next step on Secondary Clarifier
o Requested a modification of Wet Weather Plant CSO trigger flow to DEP to ensure compliance during heavy rain events
 Submitted May 2018 net DMR report
 Received and reviewed April’s 2018 SIU monthly discharge report
 Completed 3000 ft. of CCTV sewer main inspections
 Responded to 6 dig-safe requests to locate sewer mains
 Inspected and approved three lateral repairs
 Worked with Wright-Pierce Engineering and a contractor digging 12 test pits along South Main Street to verify the location and depth of an underground concrete communications duct bank as part of engineering for new storm sewer pipe to be installed
Upcoming June 16 – July 15, 2018
 Expecting a visit from DEP regarding Second Clarifier
 Planning to conduct two of five Significant Industrial Users plant inspections
 Will attend last class of the Wastewater Operator school
 Hold monthly Wastewater whole crew team meeting
 Hold Wastewater operators/mechanics meeting
 Submit renewal for the vacuum truck non-hazardous waste transporter license application to DEP
 Finalize Second Clarifier Wet Weather Plan with reduced trigger flow
 Submit revision of Wet Weather Plan to DEP as required
 Submit June 2018 net DMR report
 Receive and review May’s 2018 SIU monthly discharge report
 Continue CCTV sewer main inspections throughout the city
 Install a new sewer manhole on Holmes Street and a lateral connection for one property
 Continue work on engineering and completion of sewer repair and sewer extension projects


Photos provided by Maine Windjammer Project
The Maine Windjammer Project started in 2007 to preserve the modern history of the Maine Windjammer and to make it available to the generations to come.
This historical archive is available to museums and for historical research.
For more info contact: dougmills@shootmainestudios.com


WATCH MAINE POSITIVE TV

No comments:

Post a Comment