Monday, December 30, 2013
City Initiates Trial Additional On -Street Parking During City Wide Parking Bans
1. Western Promenade - Bowdoin Street to West Street (waterside) (See attached - designated area in red.)
2. Eastern Promenade - Turner Street to East End School property light pole 33 (waterside)
3. Marginal Way – Plowman Street to just before the entrance area to the East End Waste Water Treatment Plant. (waterside) (See attached - designated area in red.)
These three street segments will provide more parking options for citizens in addition to the off street city-wide parking ban areas currently designated for use in Portland (see list below). Special signage has been installed to assist the public in identifying these new locations. All vehicles must be removed on or before 8am every day.
According to Michael Bobinsky, Director of Public Services, “we are trying these additional on street parking locations as a trial option for this winter. Our plan is to gather feedback from the public and City agencies during the 2013 - 2014 Winter Season in order to determine the feasibility of making this a permanent feature of our winter program. We greatly appreciate the cooperation and responsiveness of our Portland residents in complying with City wide parking bans, and believe these new options provide more parking yet do not impair plowing operations.”
All comments and feedback on this trial program are to be directed to Eric Labelle, Deputy Director. Eric can be contacted by calling 874-8801, or email at email@example.com .
The current list of winter parking ban locations is as follows:
• Deering Oaks – on the left hand side of Tennis Court Road only
• State Street gravel lot – abutting Deering oaks
• Fitzpatrick Stadium parking lot
• Hadlock Field parking lot
• All Portland Public School lots EXCEPT the lots at Reiche School which abuts the school and playground
• Parking lots on Munjoy and Wilson Streets, formerly known as the Adams School
• Cutter Street lots (off the Eastern Prom)
• Beach Street lot accessible from Commercial Street. (Available after 8pm tonight)
• Lot across the street from the International Marine Terminal on Commercial Street (corner of Park and Commercial Streets)
• On Peaks Island, parking is available at the Welch Street parking lot and St. Christopher's Church parking lot on Central Avenue
• Many parking garages in the area are open for parking bans at reduced rates, including the City operated parking garages. – check with individual garages for rates and hours.
A map of the locations where the public can park during a City wide parking ban can be found at this website: http://www.portlandmaine.gov/maps/snowbanparkinglocations.pdf.
Residents and visitors to the city can sign up online at www.portlandmaine.gov to receive email notices from the city when a city-wide parking ban is implemented. Everyone can also get parking ban updates by either becoming a fan of Portland Cityline on Facebook or a follower of PortlandCitylin on Twitter. The parking ban hotline (879-0300) and the Time and Temperature sign also provide up-to-date postings.