Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Maine Winter Storm Heading Our Way

Augusta, Maine - The National Weather Service has posted Winter Storm Warnings for much of the State of Maine. Coastal splash over as well as minor beach erosion is also possible later tomorrow for coastal Cumberland and York Counties. The storm is expected to intensify overnight, and dangerous conditions will continue into most of the day Thursday and into the evening. "This could make for some difficult and potentially dangerous commuting with the increase in holiday traffic," said Rob McAleer, Director of Maine Emergency Management Agency.

The Maine Emergency Management Agency joins the NWS Gray and Caribou Forecast Offices in urging all Mainers and visitors to stay off the roads, pay close attention to weather warnings, and stay safe.

MEMA advises:

1. Stay off the roads unless absolutely necessary. Strong winds, low visibility, blowing and drifting snow can make for extremely dangerous, life-threatening whiteout conditions. The fewer vehicles that are on the road, the easier it will be for snowplows to operate. 2. Pay attention. The National Weather Service is tracking this storm closely. Stay "tuned in" to your best source of weather information to stay up to date on the latest predictions for the storm. Up to date weather warnings are posted at 3. If you lose power, use emergency generators and alternate heat sources safely. Carbon monoxide kills. Remember to keep outside vents for heaters and stoves clear of snow, as clogged vents may also pose carbon monoxide dangers. 4. Check on neighbors and friends who may not be as well prepared. 5. If you see a downed power line, stay away from it, and notify the electric utility. 6. If you are in an area that is vulnerable to coastal flooding, stay aware of any local conditions, and cooperate with any local road closures or other emergency measures.

##Special Safety message about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

Warning signs of CO poisoning are flu symptoms like headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, and confusion, but without a fever.

If you or anyone in the home thinks you are being poisoned by carbon monoxide:

* Leave the house at once. * Call the fire department or 911. * Get medical attention. Call the Poison Center (1-800-222-1222) or your doctor after you leave the house. * Stay out of the building until the fire department tells you it is safe.

For more information on storm safety and preparedness, visit

No comments:

Post a Comment